Monday, December 29, 2008

My best Christmas Gift

My husband is not a gift giver. Now having said that I have to clarify. He would love to buy me jewelry, but I don't wear it. I always ask for the things I really want...New cookware, recipe books, and more recently Yarn (and lots of it!) These are things I know I can go buy for myself, but it feels better having someone get it for me.

This year Lyle got me a patio umbrella so I can sit out in front of our house and watch the sun set, without getting a sunburn. But even better, he took me out shopping, without the kids. Since the Japanese aren't Christian (for the most part) all of the stores are open. We went to MaxValu (think Japanese Target Home Decor) and I got a storage rack for in my kitchen. Then we went to Yellow Box, which is a furniture store I have heard about from many, but never visited.

We were only in there for 10 minutes before I found the perfect table for my home here in Okinawa. My table is one of two things I wish I had decided to bring along rather than put into storage. My queen mattress is the other, but we already bought one of those :) I saw this table from across the store, made a bee line for it and sat down. It was a bar height square table with a self storing drop down leaf. It also came with 6 chairs.... Our price less than $600! I caught Lyle's eye and said "We'll take it!"

It was delivered on Saturday. Unfortunately the Government Furniture Warehouse is closed until next week, so for now I have 2 dining room tables (with 12 chairs) in my dining room. I love my new table :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice!! However, it does not match that hutch at ALL LOL

Hey did you notice how the sun was making that wall next to your (what I assume to be) the entry to the kitchen yellow? You should paint it that color, it really is lovely.

ItsJustMeHeather said...

Our current wall color is "old Government Ecru" with a spackled finish LOL. I should check into paint and see what is available :)