Thursday, December 25, 2008

I love to cook

Of course you all know that and most of you have tasted the benefits of being my friend! I love trying out new recipes and since I have been in the mood to cook, I have been trying out quite a few. I made home wrapped Pizza Rolls for our lunch yesterday. The original recipe came from Taste of Home, a recipe source second only to The Zaar. But I had to make a couple of small changes. I took out the onion and peppers, only because I am the only one that would have enjoyed that here. I also couldn't find Egg Roll Wrappers (I know!!!) so I decided to make them in Gyoza skins instead. I used my deep fryer outside to cook them up. In the smaller wrappers they only took a minute to cook.

Pizza Rolls

4 cups (16 ounces) shredded pizza cheese blend or part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
2 packages (3 ounces each) sliced pepperoni, chopped
1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 jars (14 ounces each) pizza sauce
32 egg roll wrappers
Vegetable oil for frying
Additional pizza sauce for dipping, warmed, optional

In a large bowl, combine the cheese, sausage, pepperoni, peppers and onion. Stir in pizza sauce until combined. Place about 1/4 cup filling in the center of each egg roll wrapper. Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Moisten remaining corner with water and roll up tightly to seal.

In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry pizza rolls for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with additional pizza sauce if desired. Yield: 32 rolls.


Because I used Gyoza wrappers I had about 6 cups of filling left over. So for dinner we put scoops of the filling onto sub rolls and broiled them in the oven until the filling was bubbly. They were very good. I think the filling mixture would be good inside the bread dough from the Cheeseburger roll recipe I posted a couple days ago!

For Christmas morning Chris said he wanted cinnamon rolls instead of a big breakfast. I used that request as an opportunity to try another Recipezaar find that I had bookmarked months ago. This is why I needed Cook and Serve Butterscotch pudding mix!

Too Easy Gooey Caramel Rolls




This is an AWESOME recipe. It took 5 minutes last night to assemble. Then I just turned on the oven this morning and 30 minutes later we had breakfast warm and sugary on the table. The extra caramel sauce is what put these over the top for us.

No comments: