Thursday, December 04, 2008

Day out

Lyle took a short break from his studying yesterday and took me out for lunch and shopping.

I tried (again) to go to a yarn shop I have heard about just off base. The first few times I have gone, I found where I believed the shop to be, but the security doors were pulled down so I couldn't tell for sure. Yesterday the security screen was up, but the shop door was locked and I couldn't see anyone inside. I will have to try again another day :(

After that we went to a couple local home stores to try to finish off the kids Christmas. Originally I wanted lunch at a little shop I had seen called "Soup Soup" but it was a beautiful sunny day and the soups on the window menu weren't calling out to me. Instead we went next door to a place that had noodles.

As we walked in the place hushed (just for a second). It was crowded, but not a single american was there. The waitress went to the back and brought out someone from the kitchen to take our order. The great thing about a Japanese menu is that it ALWAYS has pictures, of course unless they have a translation under the picture, you will be guessing as to what type of meat you are eating. We ordered Taco Rice (an Okinawan specialty) and a Soba Soup Set. I would have taken pictures of the food, but we were already the center of attention and I hate attention.

The Taco Rice is a bed of rice, topped with taco seasoned beef, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. It was very, very good! The Soba Soup Set was a bowl of Soba noodle soup, with two pieces of pork (similar to uncrisped bacon) in it, bowl of rice, a breaded and fried pork cutlet, a hunk of tofu in sauce, and some pickled shredded veggie (we assume cabbage). It too was good, but not as good as the Taco Rice. It was nice to try a new place we hadn't even heard about before.

After lunch we hit the 100 Yen plaza, UniQlo and a Japanese shoe store. Lyle actually bought shoes as the shoe store! He is a size LL :) At the yen store we discovered another flavor of Kit Kat, Banana, YUMMMMM!

No comments: