Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas dinner

My family has never been one to be "traditional" on any holiday. But since I had a turkey breast in the freezer we decided to go with a Thanksgiving themed Christmas.

We enjoyed Turkey, Stuffing, Mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, corn and fresh baked rolls. For dessert we tried Pumpkin Dump Cake.

I love Dump Cakes for a few reasons, they are super easy, usually only require a couple ingredients and they are ALWAYS served with ice cream. This dump cake has a few more ingredients and a couple extra steps, but the flavor was well worth it. It was even better the next day warmed up in the microwave!

Pumpkin Dump Cake

21 oz can 100% Pumpkin
13 oz Evaporated Milk
3 Eggs
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cloves
1/2 teaspoon Ginger
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Salt
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
1 Cup Butter, melted

Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan and preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients, except cake mix and butter, in a large bowl. Mix until well blended. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle the dry cake mix over pumpkin layer and smooth out any lumps. Evenly pour melted butter over cake mix. Place in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until the middle is set. Cool for 10-15 minutes before scooping out over Vanilla Ice Cream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my...I will HAVE to try this! Thanks!!

MandySue said...

My mom used to make one very similar to this and I love it more than pumpkin pie. Delish! I might have to make this soon, thanks for sharing.