Saturday, December 06, 2008

Hen night

A long time ago, at an Air Force Base far far away I used to entertain. I had 10 to 15 women in my house once a week, for almost 4 years. My husband used to joke that we sounded like a flock of chickens "clucking" all night long. I miss those nights, but until last night I hadn't realized how much.

Last night I went to the Ladies Progressive Dinner through my church. Twenty (or so) women started out with appetizers at church, then got into 5 cars and drove to another house for dinner. We got back into our cars and headed back to the church for desserts and an ornament exchange. It was during dinner that I heard the chickens talking again :) I stopped and just listened for a minute. If I had closed my eyes I could have been in my North Dakota basement again. Different women, someone else cooking the food, a whole different country even, but completely the same.

And to those that wonder....Yes I can still follow 5 different conversations from across the room, while giving the person I am talking to my (almost) complete attention :)

No comments: