Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Weekend Review

We had a very busy weekend here in the Spring household. Friday night Lyle was still recovering from the time change, so we stayed home and went to bed early (for a Friday!) Saturday morning he took the kids to Girl Scout thinking day and I went with my friend, Sabrina, to a crop. Yes that's what I said..... I went to a crop. Run by other people, so all I had to do was bring my stuff and work on my own books.

I was totally unprepared. I remembered my pictures, my box of preplanned pages, I remembered my tape and tools, so I was ready...Right? I did the 8-10 pages I had preplanned and ready to go, then went to start working with my box of printed pictures only to discover I didn't bring any paper other than a small box of scrap :(

Good thing I planned far enough ahead to think about what to do if I finished my pictures. I had also taken 3 different stamping projects along. Don't worry, Sabrina already told me people stamped at these things too, so I wasn't committing any craft crimes. I had time to cut and stamp my swap cards, and get started on a One Sheet Wonder before it was time to pack up and go home. It was nice to be able to work on my stuff for a change but I really missed all of my regular croppers. The conversation was a little more proper than I am used to...KWIM?

Saturday night was nice, with Lyle cooking dinner (after having the kids all day) and doing clean up after!

Sunday we had decided was going to be our shopping day. Since we went back to the states so quickly there were a few finishing touches the house needed, so we headed down to Camp Foster. We went first to the PX to look for a new crockpot. They didn't have any but they did have a new pair of running shoes in my size (odd since my feet are wider than they are long). Then we went to buy a new grill. We got a good one with a side burner for power outages (planning ahead for the typhoon season). The box was huge but we got it to fit in the car. Then we drove to the furniture store to check on rugs. I found one I loved but we hadn't measured the living room and Lyle thought it might be too big. We also found out that mattress sets were on sale, so we broke down and decided to buy a Queen set to replace the midget bed we are currently using. We drove the grill home and measured the living room, then rushed back to Foster to get my rug before someone else did. We were originally going to get the mattresses and the rug delivered at the same time, until we found out the set we wanted was sold out and wouldn't be in until March. So we made a 12' x 15' rug fit into our car and drove that home too.

After all those trips we still had one more to make. We had told the kids we were eating in a regular (not base run) restaraunt for dinner. We went to the hardware store to get house keys copied, spent an hour in the Yen store (I LOVE that place) then went to find a place called Dragons. It is a Japanese Style Chinese place that one of the scrappers was talking about at the crop. Her directions were bad (or I didn't listen well enough) because we couldn't find it. But we promised so we pulled into the first eating establishment that had lots of cars in the parking lot.

We ended up at a place called Skylark Gusto. We were the only white faces in the place, but they had an English menu (translated) for us so we decided we would stay. It was very much like a Denny's but with Japanese food. There were some american dishes: Stephanie got popcorn shrimp and fries, Chris tried the fried chicken and Lyle got a Hamburger patty. I stepped outside the box a bit and ordered a Pork Cutlet meal that came with a variety of little side dishes. I have to say, I got the best meal of all of us. The pork was incredibly tender, the shredded cabbage with Japanese dressing was yummy. Chris finished off my rice, Stephanie ate all of my soup (I did get a small taste) and the pickled veggies were awesome. I tried to convince Lyle to get the camera from the car so I could snap a picture but he wouldn't budge :(

Monday was spent putting the grill together. Then returning the keys that didn't work and spending another hour in the Yen store. A nice grilled dinner of Steak and Shrimp with a bottle of Red, and the weekend was over. I can't wait for next weekend, I am exhausted!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you plan to use that side burner? You are not allowed outside when you are in lock down for typhoons.

ItsJustMeHeather said...

Not during... after while we wait for power to be restored. On Guam that was a week long event.

Anonymous said...

That only happened once when it was out after. We were without power for 3 days. That isn't bad for it to happen once out of 6 yrs.