Saturday, February 09, 2008

Home at last

We made it! The kids and I survived the 3 flights totaling 17 hours. The person that was supposed to meet us at the airport was there (good thing, as I forgot to get his phone number from Lyle). My house survived, and more importantly I had a nice cozy bed to fall into when we got here.

I know I updated from the Rochester airport, but that was before they called a 45 minute delay on our flight. That concerned me a little as we only had just over an hour layover in Chicago before boarding our Japan flight. When we got on the plane we were greeted by Richard, our Steward(ess) who immediately started talking to us (and only us). This lasted the entire plane ride, fortunately this was a short flight. Had Richard been on our 14 hour flight he would have been shark bait. He told us how much he loves Asia, how he was stationed in Korea while he served in the Army (Don't ask, Don't tell), where we should visit in Japan, what foods we should try, asked about Chris' arm, wanted to sign his cast (but he had to think of something clever), how he finished college over here, etc, etc, etc. It was only a 50 minute flight, but it took forever.

In Chicago we had to hustle to get from our landing gate to our departure gate. It was in the same terminal, which was good, but at the opposite end. As we passed by Starbucks I decided I had just enough time to get a Mocha for me and hot chocolates for the kids. We got to our gate just as they were starting to board.

The flight wasn't full which was nice. We shard a middle section of 5 seats which allowed us to spread out. We all tried to sleep at various times on the flight but none of us was very successful. I watched 2 movies, a handful of TV shows, beat my new DS game (7 wonders of the ancient world), and read a book. I didn't care for Michael Clayton (the movie) but liked Martian Child. I was also going to watch The King of California, but our movie system went on the blink for quite a while.

After Landing in Tokyo we had to go through Customs and Immigration. This was a very orderly process, but since our flight came in at the same time as 2 other overseas flights it took over 1 1/2 hours to get through the line and claim our bags. We only had a 3 hour layover to begin with so another quick connection.

All three of us passed out the minute we boarded out Okinawa flight and slept until the captain announced out descent 3 hours later. After getting our bags and meeting Ryan (our ride home) we climbed into our car. He asked if I wanted to drive. Ummmm, let's see.... Sleep deprived...Driving on the wrong side..... in a backwards car.... through okinawa Friday night traffic.... I said no.

After a phone call to Lyle (and a quick game of internet Canasta with him) I went to bed, 27 hours after I had woken up in Minnesota.

I think the jet lag won't be as bad since we all slept (until 6 am anyway).

I got up to no milk and no creamer. But we have whipped cream in a can, which makes a pretty good substitute. I am going to have to shower and go to the store. I am glad to be back.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

I am so glad you made it home, nothing like your own bed!

Bev said...

Man! What a trip woman! I hope your body adjusts to that time change super quick! Praying for you and family~ esp. Bonnie's last days. ))hugs((