Friday, January 18, 2008

Tough Break

Wednesday I came home from my morning walk to a voice mail. It was the nurse from Kadena High School. She said she had Chris in her office and could I call back right away. Of course, I called immediately. She told me Chris was hurt while playing dodgeball. He jammed his pinky and ring finger, they were swollen, he couldn't make a fist and on a pain scale he said it was a 10. I said someone would be right there, but I didn't have the car, Lyle did and I knew he was gone to meetings all morning.

I called his work line and talked with somone that said he wasn't sure where Lyle was, so I explained it was an emergency and someone needed to find Lyle or give me a ride to pick up my son. I was told someone would call me right back. A few minutes later Lyle called, amazing how they tracked him down so quick! He came to get me then we headed up to the school, imagining a very large hand, turning purple and black. We were suprised to see a hand that looked very normal and Chris was starting to be able to move the injured fingers.
We considered not taking him in to get checked, but since the medical is free, and Lyle had nothing but meetings staring him in the face we took him, fully expecting the doc to say it was just sprained and he would be fine. Before even looking at his hand the doctor sent him for x-rays. Then were called into her office to view them. We were suprised to hear that his pinky was in multiple pieces and he would need a cast. Fortunately the break is such that it didn't affect the growth plate, so his pinky should grow to normal size.

He got his cast on Thursday. He, of course, chose orange!

1 comment:

Cyndy said...

Wow! Love the orange! CJ would have choosen orange too. This is the second strange...I don't think it's broken but is broken finger I'ver heard of in the past week. good luck!