Wednesday, January 02, 2008

No Picture, just a quick story

My neighbor Shannon is an Army wife. She (and her hubby) were the first to greet us as we pulled into the culdesac. Her husband invited Lyle over for a friendly game of poker (okay not so friendly, but it didn't cost us too much LOL) and invited me to come along and meet the other wives. Turns out Shannon and I were the only wives that don't play Texas Hold Em. So we chatted.

She told me about EVERYTHING going on here on the island. She has been here for almost 2 years and has explored the island from tip to tip. Her main piece of advice was "Don't do it all right away, or you will spend the last half of your tour wishing you had something to do". She also offered to take me out and show me a few sites.

Last night she stopped by and we left for a quick jaunt out gate one. She drove me around American Village, pointed out the "Gentleman Massage House", showed me the Monkey store (it's like a home depot, but we haven't told the kids yet, let them think we are going to buy a monkey), a 100 yen store (Love it!!!), and best of all a little grocery store.

I could have spent hours just walking up and down the short shelved aisles with my little basket. Unfortunately, I left my family without dinner and my tour guide was waiting. That is definitely on my list of things to do when I get to drive the car after the kids are back in school.

I missed having my normal sidekicks with me as I walked around all the shops. I could hear each of you make a comment or two in the back of my head!

I also signed up for a conversational Japanese class at the community center. I just want to be able to say excuse me and thank you without sounding like a complete moron. Apparently that takes four 1 1/2 hour sessions (and $22).

I did get the sound removed from the video, but I must have done something wrong since it created a file 10 x its normal size. Because of it's size YouTube won't accept it. I will keep trying or I will just get Lyle to drive again and we won't talk this time.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Yeah, like he can sit in a car and not talk...and those kids of yours...they will definatley not be able to do that! Keep Dreaming :)