Sunday, June 01, 2008

Yum!?

Lyle and I both had tried Korean Sushi while in ND (Kimbop), and I have had California Rolls before, but neither of us had true raw fish Sushi. Our commissary just opened up a Sushi Bar addition to the Deli, and in honor of being in Japan we have started trying some of what they have to offer.




We started last week with the familiar, California Rolls. The kids didn't care for them, but Lyle and I both enjoyed them. This week we tried Cream Cheese Rolls, made with raw (as in uncooked) tuna. They were okay, but we probably won't try them from the commissary again. I don't know if we will ever get brave enough for the eel rolls!




On a tastier note, today was the Women's Ministry Annual Cake auction. Since I left all my food friends in December, I have been looking for opportunities to cook for those that might appreciate it. So I prepared one of my favorites, Lemon Meringue Cake.

I was a little worried about how the meringue would like the humidity here, but it turned out pretty good. It sold for $22. The best part of this auction was that everyone cut open their cakes right away and shared with all. I tried like 6 different desserts, my favorite, Red Velvet Cake Balls. Chunks of Red Velvet Cake, dipped in frosting then coated in melted chocolate! I will be asking Heidi for her recipe!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you are trying sushi while there, I am jealous!

You really should try some good Unagi (eel) sushi as they are delicious. Even Danith that does not eat much raw fish sushi loves them. I like the eel on a bed of rice (Maki?) better than in the roll, but they are both good.

Rick

MandySue said...

sushi- eewwwwww

lemon meringue cake- ohhh yuummmmmy