Sunday, June 15, 2008

Farmer's Market

I have been complaining about the produce the base commissary sells almost from the day we got here. The prices are high, even for "local" produce and the quality isn't very good, but the local grocery chains weren't much better for price so I thought I was stuck.


I found out I was wrong. Lyle and I ventured out to find a Farmer's Market that is only about 10 minutes from the base. The selection at this market is incredible and the prices are about half of what I had been paying. The vendors offer a huge variety of items including flowers and many local foods. Best of all they offer samples! We made a lunch of the items we found there and took home some cucumbers and tomatoes. The tomatoes are the smallest I have ever seen!


I will be making that my weekly stop and planning my menu around what I find there that looks good.

No comments: