Monday, July 14, 2008

When in Japan...




At every grocery store, corner market and restaurant we have seen (and tried) balls of rice with different seasonings or fillings in them. We all like them, so when I saw a package of seasoning packets at the 100 Yen Store I bought it.










The instructions were in japanese, but I read between the Kanji and deciphered to read "One packet mixed into 180 grams of cooked rice" Of course, we have no idea what the "flavors" are so I asked the kids, "Green, Yellow or Purple". They chose green, which had a picture of what could be a leaf, or an onion... not really sure. I learned that 180 grams is about 6 ounces (give or take), mixed it up and using plastic wrap formed 4 little rice snacks. To be authentic, they should be in a triangle. I will be buying a rice form next time I am at the Yen Store


I served them up, we each tried one, then wished I had made more :) There was enough left over rice after dinner to mix up one more batch, this time using the purple packet. The purple packet had a picture of berries, or beets, or maybe the purple sweet potato. I guess we will find out when we eat them with lunch today. I am going to try to remember to take the package with me to have one of our Japanese friends at church tell me what the flavors are supposed to be.

No comments: