Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Strangers

Since the kids had their own plans on Friday, Lyle and I decided to go to the movies and see "The Strangers". For those that haven't seen the previews it is a scary movie. In fact Lyle and I agree that it was the best scary movie we have seen in a VERY long time. I didn't let go of his hand throughout the whole movie (or he wouldn't let go of mine, LOL). Since it opens with the lines "Based on actual events" I had to do some research after I got home. Mostly to set my mind at easy that the "bad guys" haven't moved to Okinawa :)

While looking up the names and dates shown on the movie screen I found that there was no murder of Kristin McKay or James Hoyt on February, 11 2005 but there was a grisly murder in a remote cabin on April 11, 1981 (check out http://www.cabin28.com/).

I also found a commentary from the director on the official website (http://www.thestrangers.net/):

"As a kid, I lived in a house on a street in the middle of nowhere. One night, when our parents were out, someone knocked on the front door, and my little sister answered it. At the door were some poeple asking for somebody that didn't live there. We later found out that these people were knocking on doors in the area and, if no one was home, breaking into the houses. In The Strangers, the fact that someone is home does not deter the people who have knocked on the door; it's the reverse."

Either way, it is a scary movie I would recommend to any horror lover!

No comments: