Sunday, May 11, 2008

This week in Okinawa

Okay, I meant to post... almost everyday! So here is a quick Recap of the Spring week.

On Wednesday Lyle and I went to Members night at the club. The first visit was so fun, we couldn't pass up Free Food and Entertainment. It was just as fun, and the food was good and this time we actually won a real prize. I played Price is Right and was way over on my prices (no prize for me). Lyle played the scavenger hunt and won a Margarita (and smoothie) maker. Perfect for sitting out on the patio during those hot Okinawa days :)




On Thursday Chris had a band concert. He was pretty excited about it since 3 of the 5 songs they were playing were from video games! The band director told about an orchestra that tours the country (US) playing nothing but the background music from todays most popular games. He said they sell out almost everywhere they go! Our band did a pretty good job, even if I didn't recognize the music, or the games it came from.

Lyle had been telling us about the soda cans that come out of the Japanese run vending machines at work. He finally brought home a can so I could share. The Japanese really like their Anime art!









We finally remembered to take a picture of Lyle with his new ride. He really likes his little blue car, and after riding in it (finally) I have to say it is kind of fun :) He can reach his arm across the top of it and we joked that we could carry it to the shop if it ever broke down!And finally, on Saturday we went to a Mexican Potluck at church to listen to a Missionary from China. Part of the potluck was a salsa contest. I sampled a few different Recipezaar recipes until I happened on Pineapple Black Bean Salsa (recipe # 175113). I made a few changes to make it my own and took it in to be judged. I won the prize for Most Unusual Salsa! The prize: a candy necklace that is a work of art in itself. Each piece of hard candy looks just like the fruit it is supposed to be down to the seeds in the watermelon!

The news has been tracking the first threat of a typhoon for Okinawa. Tropical Storm Rammasun (God of Thunder) is supposed to miss us by 500 miles, but it is already bringing wind gusts and bands of rain. Hopefully, we will be able to venture out of the house next week.

1 comment:

MandySue said...

I love the bottle between the anime's boobs. How funny is that!