Friday, April 03, 2009

Letting Go

Yesterday I did the hardest thing I have ever done in my life...... I handed my son my car keys and let him go, by himself, to the store. When I realized, halfway through my dinner prep, that I was out of flour, Chris jumped at the chance to run to the commissary for me.

I, of course, hesitated. It was after 4, base traffic is heavy, the commissary lot will be full. A million reasons to say NO, but the biggest reason, the most important reason and the most irrational reason is I don't want to let go. As much as I joke about him leaving, I don't think I am even close to accepting the fact that he will. But I handed him the keys, warned him to be careful and let him go.

He was only gone for 20 minutes, but I KNOW I heard sirens at least twice, and I stood by the window the whole time waiting for him to drive into the parking lot. Ducking away from the window when he did, I didn't want him to think I was watching for him. He walked in with my flour and joked, "I only hit two cars!"

After dinner he announced he was taking the dog for a walk with his friend, Megan. Doesn't he know I can only handle so much in one day?

No comments: