Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I give up

I cannot do it all. Okay, honestly I have known that since I had kids, but I continued to try.

Last week I decided enough was enough, I had to let something go. I decided that the thing I liked least was the thing I should quit doing. Number one on my list: HOUSEWORK!

So after asking around I called Good Housekeeping Okinawa and asked about their services. They asked me a few simple questions (number of bedrooms, bathrooms, how much tile vs carpet, etc) then gave me a quote. They sent me a list of the services they include in their "regular" twice monthly cleaning service. I have to admit, it was more than I did once a month, so I signed up.

Yesterday I had two lovely Japanese ladies show up at my door, cleaning supplies in hand, at 8:30. My local cohort Rita and my hubby both said I shouldn't be home while the ladies were there, something about being a control freak (I know, right?) so I packed up my knitting and left to meet a friend for coffee. I stopped back at home around 11 to meet Lyle for lunch then headed out again to take a meal to another friend that just had surgery. I was back home by 12:30 and they were finishing up.

My house looked incredible! All the windows - washed. The floors - vacuumed and mopped. The bathrooms - sparkled! My kitchen - they even cleaned the stove and fridge! Not a speck of dust (or Haru hair) was in sight.

The best part was that my day off was a REAL day off! Definitely worth every Yenny :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After the twins were born I got a mamasan. That was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Cyndy said...

You are my second friend this week to try out a house cleaner (or service)...I think I want one now too! But I know I would be cleaning like frantic before she arrived, and then, I guess I really wouldn't need one.