Friday, November 28, 2008

Gas Prices

Okay I missed an entry yesterday so I will make up for it today. I have a couple things on my camera I forgot to write about so you will benefit today.

First of all, let me say that I always knew AAFES was scamming on gas prices. Even in ND the base gas station was the same as town, except we aren't supposed to be paying taxes on base...right? Officials in ND (and here) have always claimed that their pricing policy was "to remain in line with the national average". In Grand Forks we almost always had a warning, because the stations in town would update their pricing a day before the base did.

Here on Okinawa we also had warning, by way of our newspaper, Stars and Stripes. They would publish the new gas prices in Friday's paper and the prices would take effect on Saturday. Since arriving here we watched the prices in the states go up and ours would follow suit. That is until July. Right about the time the gas prices spiked in the US. Then the prices started their free fall. I understand some places now are at less than $1.50. We didn't benefit from falling prices.

This is what our gas has been at for the last 6 months:

AAFES has all kinds of excuses and has answered every customers complaint the same: They locked in a price with the distributor and it wouldn't be renegotiated until mid November. Personally I believe this is a crock and someone, somewhere is building their dream house off of our hard earned money. Of course was could have gone off base but the price there combined with the poor exchange rate made it about a wash.

Today (black friday) is the day they are supposed to drop the price. We will still be paying more than national average but at $2.53 a gallon it is a huge relief from yesterday's price.

No comments: