Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Bad Bloggers Unite

There seems to be a large number of us (okay all of those listed on the right side under Friends) that have been lazy when it comes to keeping everyone up to date. I am no exception to this trend. It has been almost a week since my last post, so I thought I should catch you all up on what I have been doing.

This week has been a busy one. We celebrated Lyle's birthday with a lasagna dinner, served with freshly made rosemary garlic bread, a salad, and our favorite $6/bottle wine :) We capped dinner off with a triple chocolate bundt cake served with Cool Whip and fresh strawberries (a rare thing here on Okinawa). It was a delish dinner and a fun night.

After the birthday celebrations were over, Rita stopped by to give me her newest addition, Latte. Rita had to head back to the states for chief school and needed someone to watch her kids and her dog. I got the dog. Latte is only 2 1/2 months old, still potty training and loves to chase Haru's tail. Latte makes my 19 pound Haru look like a giant! They are learning to get along and Haru's mothering instinct is coming out. She has swiped him with a paw once but has refrained from biting him... so far. (How many moms can relate?)


I was in charge of the dinner portion of our craft auction at church. I had graduated from feeding 13+ women to feeding 80! We served Spaghetti, choice of 3 sauces, meatballs, garlic bread and a large variety of desserts. My dessert contribution was quick, easy but VERY good. Thanks to recipezaar

Easy 4 Ingredient Blondies Recipe #271759

25 min | 5 min prep

SERVES 20

1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
2 large eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Set aside 13x9 pan. Blend cake mix, eggs and melted butter with electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are moistened (about 1 minute). Scrape down sides and stir in chocolate chips, stirring until well incorporated. Mixture will be very thick. Scrape mixture into 13x9 pan. Using fork or fingertips, press batter out evenly so that it reaches all the sides. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes before cutting into squares.

I think next time I am going to try strawberry cake mix and dark chocolate chips!

Saturday the family went out shopping. I had heard of this small shopping complex that just opened, housing a couple of furniture stores and a home store. Okinawa Hai reviewed it saying it ws as close to Target as we were going to get on Okinawa. Needing a Target fix we went. I walked through the three stores there, overwhelmed. It was as good as being back home. Gadgets I didn't know I needed, furniture I have no place for and home accessories from pillows to curtains, garbage containers to rugs. I wandered for almost 3 hours before the kids said they wanted to go home. I bought a couple throw pillows for the couch and a small rug for under the shoe rack. I will be going back as soon as I measure a few closets and windows!

I have been crafting too. I made this Sister board book for Rita to give to her sister as a thank you for watching her other dog, Joey. I am in the process of making another one, since the first turned out so nice.

While in the Marine bases PX last week I happened to find a WiiFit. Lyle had been on the lookout since it was released, so I picked it up. The whole family has had a blast doing Yoga, balance games, strength training and even running with the Wii. I do have to admit it is a little disconcerting to have my game system tell me to step on the board then say "oh!" But it does that for everyone, even skinny Stephanie :) If you haven't gotten one yet I recommend it!

Last note is a food review. Part of our shopping trips out is always picking out something new to try. We actually bought this a while ago, but it stayed in the cabinet for a while. Black Pepper popcorn! Stephanie and I both loved it, the boys weren't so sure.

Okay, now I am caught up......... Are you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pffft, I'm always caught up lol Ya'll are always behind on blogging lol. Nice book, love it! You need a BIA in the worst way lol

Anonymous said...

and Rita's dog looks strangely...like a cat LOL