Saturday, March 21, 2009

When in Japan...

I am amazed at the variety of food here on Okinawa. There are so many places to eat, foods to try and ethnicities to explore. Recently Lyle and I went out on a date night and ended up at an Indian restaraunt called Krishna's.


Neither of us had EVER had true Indian food before, so we were unsure as to what we should order. Fortunately, for us, they had sampler sets. Lyle ordered the traditional set meal, while I ordered the seafood set.

My meal is pictured above. It included Naan (flat bread), Tandoori shrimp, fried fish, salad, seafood curry (the red stuff) and fresh yogurt with mango puree. There was also a crispy flat chip type thing, but I don't know what it was since it wasn't listed in my menu. Lyle's plate looked just like mine except he got two currys (one chicken, one vegetable), Tandoori chicken, and a "Sheek Kebab". The Kebab was ground chicken, seasoned to spicy perfection then pressed onto a stick and roasted. I loved it, Lyle just thought it was okay. But we both agreed the food was wonderful. I even spent some time searching Recipezaar.com trying to find recipes to recreate the meal.

We love set meals because they always feature a restaraunts best dishes, but also for the dessert factor, After we stuffed ourselves on our huge dinner our waitress brought out this:

The clear bowl is Lychee gelatin (YUMMMMM) served with a small bowl of fruit. The red fruit at the bottom is a Lychee. Of course we didn't know that until we got home and looked it up. It has a tough outer skin, but the fruit inside is soft, like a Kiwi.

It was a wonderful night without the kids, and I look forward to doing it again!

No comments: