Saturday, December 15, 2007

First Post from Kadena

We left Yakota almost 2 hours behind schedule. First a plane maintanence issue (fuel line problem), then we sat in the plane on the tarmac waiting for the log book to be returned. Stephanie, after hearing they needed a log book, offered up her extra notebook. She is such a good girl, but they needed the real deal.

After it showed up and we took off it was another 2 hours to Kadena. By this time we were all pretty tired and just happy to be off the plane. We met our sponser and he took us to our TLF. Because they are renovating lodging we ended up with 2 seperate 1 bedroom rooms. The kids of course are in love with this idea. Personally I am hoping for good news from housing on Monday.

Mike, our sponser, took us on a quick tour of the base today. He kept apologizing for it being small, and all I could think is how much bigger that GF it is. We checked out the Teen Center, which Chris loves. The BX and commissary are huge and suprisingly, the prices are very similar to what we were paying in ND. We are going to try to go to a Cirque Luci show at the theatre tonight, if we can stay up til 8 that is :)

The main thing I think I am going to have a problem with is the driving. Remembering to be on the opposite side of the road is going to take a while for me.

I feel way out of my element, which is a good thing once in a while. But the worry about friends (both for me and the kids) keeps working its way into my head.

For Susan.... Yes I thought about you as I enjoyed my coffee at the top of Seattle, and both of our flights were empty enough that the kids each got to sit alone by a window and Lyle and I shared a whole center row :)

5 comments:

FFFF said...

I am sure it will only take a few times of having the cars coming at you head-on to remember

MandySue said...

Yay, I am so glad you all made it to Kadena safely and without too many "detours". I can only imagine the feeling of being so out of your element. I was just so glad I met Ellen at my first spouses group meeting!!! It helps to have a buddy. So go out there and find a buddy!

Anonymous said...

WOW, just WOW, you are actually THERE!!

Bev said...

I can't believe you're in Japan! Hope your internal clock adjusts to Japan time quickly! Thinkin of ya!

Kelly Childs said...

Konnecihwa!! Just wait until you turn on your wipers instead of your blinker!! It took Mike 3 years to remember they are switched!! Have Fun!