Monday, August 11, 2008

I am NOT on strike

Although many of my blogging friends are declaring a strike, due to a certain someone not updating FOREVER, I am not one of them. I have just had a very busy (and tiring)week.

I spent every morning last week with over 50 kids. Every one of them rotated through my "Coconut Cafe" snack room. We created tortilla butterflies, Chocolate covered banana toucan beaks, ate dried fruit "bugs" like frogs, Sherbet baby birds and chocolate frosted Monkey muffins. I learned many things over this week, here are my top five:
1. No matter how "fun" you make it, dried fruit is dried fruit and kids don't like it
2. If you dye cream cheese blue, little kids will eat it, big kids will not
3. The best birth control for teens is to have them help you with VBS
4. Japanese boys are just as wild and uncontrollable as American boys
5. The Japanese word for nose is hana, flower is ohana and butt in any language will make 5 year olds giggle.

My favorite VBSer was a half Japanese boy named Yo, he has a brother named Yu (I kid you not!) He was always smiling, always participating and loved every piece of fruit I put on his plate. If I could clone him I would!

Lyle took pity on me on Saturday and saw I needed a break from everyone, so he took the kids with the Teen group to a Paintball field. This is the group before:

I asked for an after picture too, but no one was clean enough to hold the camera.

All three of them came back filthy and exhausted, battered and bruised. Stephanie was a trooper though and played in all five rounds. She took a hard shot to the thigh and a shot to her face. The thigh left a mark, but the face shot exploded on her mask and just left a purple smear through her hair.












Chris and Steph are ready to do it again. Lyle needs a few more days to recover :)

During my morning off I cleaned the house, did a ton of laundry, finished my book and finished scrapping (and journaling) 2005. I just have to order pictures now to get started on 2006. I loved every second of my "day".

Sunday we went out for a nice dinner. We decided to try one of the many Teppanyaki places we drive by all the time, Four Seasons Steak House.


Stephanie had Shrimp, I had chicken and shrimp, Chris chose chicken, but Lyle got the best meal of all with his steak order. It was so tender and flavorful. Our chef did the whole juggling thing while cooking our food, it was entertaining and fulfilling.






Now I have to run, the kids need school clothes and I want to check Camp Foster before I order online.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one of our favorite places to eat. Our other one is the Garlic house. Yum, yum.

MandySue said...

Holy Moly Heather, you look fantastic!

Looks like a fun restaurant. Mmmmmmm