Sunday, June 07, 2009

The results are in

Today was the annual dessert auction at church. This fundraiser is held to benefit Women's Ministry. The cakes usually go for high dollar amounts, then after the bidding has ended, the cakes are passed around for all to sample and enjoy. Last year I made my Lemon Meringue Cake and it did well despite no one knowing whether I could cook or not.

Now, of course, those that know me, know I make good food, and wouldn't bring anything to a potluck that doesn't impress. That being said, I was worried today. There were only twelve desserts being auctioned off. One was made by Chris - he made Snickers Cake:
Some of you might remember this one. German Chocolate cake with a ribbon of melted caramel and chocolate chips, topped (usually) with Cool Whip to serve. He included a can of Redi Whip Topping, as he didn't want the cool whip to ruin the cake before anyone got a chance to bid on it. Stephanie made Triple Treat Torte:

She even stood up in front of everyone to describe it: A peanutty shortbread crust, topped with a layer of peanut butter, cream cheese and cool whip, covered with blended vanilla and chocolate pudding, spread with cool whip then sprinkled with chocolate and crushed peanuts. Then there was mine:

My Dulce De Leche Cake. I KNOW it is delicious, I KNOW everyone will love it, but it is not even close to pretty. Both kids have better looking cakes than I made, so I started to worry that their cakes might make more than mine (my pride and reputation is at stake).

But in the end, my cake sold for $55, Stephanie's and Chris' each made $45. And the best part was hearing everyone compliment my kids on doing such a great job!

Don't worry, people commented on my cake too. My ego is doing okay, but thanks for worrying :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so yummy and so fun. Thank you all so much for baking so I could eat it!

Ellen said...

They look so delicious! Makes me want to go bake something!