Thursday, June 04, 2009

For those that asked

First off let me tell each one of you that I miss cooking. I still cook for my family, but it isn't quite the same as trying to come up with meals to wow 10+ women. I barely cook desserts anymore, since we can't (shouldn't) eat them, and I haven't made a single appetizer since I moved to Okinawa.


I have piles of fun sounding recipes that I know you all would love, but my family wouldn't touch if you paid them. Of course, wrap it in seaweed and rice, call it sushi and they eat anything LOL


But back to the reason for a second post today (two days in a row I might add). Many of you on Facebook commented that you would like the recipe. Anyone that received a CD of Scrapping Recipes from me has it already (Rebecca, you get extra dessert for noticing!). It is from my favorite cooking website Recipezaar. But I will post it here too, with pictures to whet your appetite. I only made two changes, I replaced the ground beef with one package of Morningstar Farms Crumbles (I love my soy!) and I used a whole 8 ounce can of tomato sauce (didn't want to waste half a can). I served on a bed of shredded lettuce, with Fat Free Sour Cream.


Taco Casserole for the crockpot
8 servings
Recipezaar.com #154912

1 ½ lbs Ground Beef
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon pepper
9 corn tortillas (5 ½ inch)
½ Cup Chicken Broth
½ Cup Tomato Sauce
10 ounce Enchilada Sauce
6 ounces Cheddar, shredded
30 ounces black beans
11 ounce Mexicorn
4 ½ ounce chopped green chilies
2 ¼ ounce Black olives, sliced


Spray the inside of a 3-4 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. In large skillet brown ground beef with onion and garlic over medium high heat for 8-10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain well. Stir in taco seasoning mix, salt and pepper. Place 3 tortillas in bottom of crock-pot. Top with beef mixture, broth, tomato sauce and enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with ½ cup of cheese. Layer 3 more tortillas. Top with the beans, corn, green chilies, half the olives and ½ cup cheese. Top with remaining 3 tortillas. Sprinkle with reaming cheese and olives. Cook on high setting for 2 ½ to 3 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Uncover crock-pot for last 30 minutes of cooking time. Top individual servings with sour cream


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, I have this? I have years one and two....believe it or not, I have NEVER had this! Loooks sooooo yummy!

(we all miss you too!)

Cyndy said...

mmmmm...looks great and with triple digit heat, I've been using my crock pot more...and I LOVE that you used the crumbles...just one bag with no real ground beef? Just so I know, I think I'm putting it on the menu for sometime SOON!!