Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dragon fruit

While out buying produce awhile back I found a funky looking object. It looked much like an artichoke, but it was bright pink and green. So I went home to do a little searching and found it called Dragon Fruit.

Since I have moved here I have tried to open my horizons where food is concerned and said if I saw it again I would buy one to try. I saw a whole bin of them at my favorite produce market and they were only 75 yen each so I bought two.

I cut them in half and we each got to try half. It was pretty good, tasted very much like a very ripe kiwi. The texture was similiar to kiwi fruit too. It got a thumbs up from everyone :)

On a side note, I have found a couple different websites to help me decipher Kanji and have made it a past time to look up what our packages say. I spent an hour one day decoding the Kanji on the Rice ball mix I buy. I found it says Oishii omusubi which means.......(drum roll)...... Delicious rice ball!

I have also learned that many english words mean similar things in Japanese. Tomato is tomato, Poteto is japanese for Potato. But I had to laugh when I learned that
irumine-shon means illumination (go ahead, say it out loud, i ru mi ne shon). Okay maybe it is only funny to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nope it wasn't just you....you know I had to try it and ended up chuckling lol

Derishious rice Boll? hehe